In 1950, a committee of Newark Township citizens decided that a volunteer fire department needed to be formed to protect the township. Southern Newark Township (what is now Heath) was to be serviced by a new fire station that would be built at 193 Heath Rd. During 1951 and 1952, the new station was completed and two fire trucks were acquired to be housed there.
In 1953, the newly incorporated Village of Heath, along with 18 charter members, separated from the Newark Township Fire Department and the all-volunteer Heath Fire District was formed.
By 1960 it was determined that to better protect the citizens living on the east side of the village a new station would be built just off of State Route13. Heath Station 2 located at 1365 Blackfoot Trail was completed in 1962.
In October of 1963, after several recommendations for an aerial truck by the Ohio Inspection Bureau, an aerial platform truck was ordered. Heath’s 75’ Snorkel would service its citizens as well as the surrounding communities for almost 40 years until it was replaced in 2003 by a new 100’ aerial platform.
In 1965, Heath became a city and with that the fire department came to be known as it is currently, the City of Heath Fire Department. In the late 1960's, as the department became busier due in large part to the addition of emergency medical services provided to the citizens of Heath, four full-time Captains and a full-time chief were hired to assist the volunteers with calls. Additional growth was experienced in 1993 as three full-time paramedic/firefighters were added to assist the Chief, Captains, and the numerous volunteers in the handling of emergency calls. In 1996, additional full-time staff was again added as the volunteer numbers declined and the number of calls increased significantly. At present, in addition to a small volunteer contingent, our staff consist of 16 full-time staff operating out of 2 stations on a 3 platoon system.
In addition to a full-time Chief each 24 hour platoon consists of: