In 1950, a committee of Newark Township citizens decided that a volunteer fire department should be formed to protect the township. During the years of 1951 and 1952 equipment was purchased and Fire Stations were built on Deo Drive in North Newark Township and on Heath Road in the southern part of Newark Township.
After Heath was incorporated, a new fire district was created on May 26, 1953, which contained all of Heath Village. At that time, the department had one 500 GPM pumper, one 1000 gallon tender, and eighteen volunteer firemen, housed at the station on Heath Road. Robert Oberfield was the chief of the department at this time.
In 1954, Burrel Swartz was elected chief and served until he moved in 1956. Harold Van Winkle was then elected chief.
In 1955, a new 750 GPM pumper was purchased, and facilities were provided to house the old pumper in the village garage on Jacksontown Road, in the east end of Heath. The department at this time consisted of 25 members.
In 1957, a signal tone system was installed to set off the alarms at the two fire stations. Later, this system was enlarged to include an alerting radio in each of the firemen's houses which were proven to be the best alarm system in existence.
In 1958, an addition was added to the Heath Road station to provide more room for future equipment. The addition was built for approximately $10,000, and it doubled the size of the engine room. Also, in 1958, after an inspection by the Ohio Inspection Bureau, the department was advised that a new station should be built on the East side of the village and 65-foot aerial truck should be purchased.
By 1960, enough money had been saved to build the new station on Jacksontown Road, and it was completed in 1961 at the cost of $23,000.
During the inspection of 1963, the Ohio Inspection Bureau again advised that a 65-foot aerial truck is purchased, so the department again met with council and received the approval to proceed. After consulting with other departments and checking the pros and cons of different aerial trucks, an elevated platform was decided to be the most appropriate for the Heath Fire Department. A 75-foot Snorkel was ordered in October 1963 and was delivered to Heath, April 1964. The cost of the truck and several pieces of small equipment which had been needed was approximately $43,000.
In November 1967, emergency squad service started in Heath with a 1967 GMC van-type squad. Before this time, firefighters made resuscitator runs with the little equipment they had carried on one of the pumpers or in one of the volunteer's personal vehicles.
In 1968, Richard Padar was elected chief and served in this office until 1971, at which time he was appointed position as a Heath's first full-time paid chief. In November 1968, a new 1500 GPM pumper was delivered to Heath.
In October 1969, another addition to the Heath Road fire station was constructed.